Monday, October 06, 2008

This is NOT a post about Elliette!

So last week I went to dinner with some lady friends and my blog came up and the fact that it has sort of.... well stopped. Unless I am writing an update for Elliette which is not what this blog was about in the beginning... SO - I have decided to make an effort to keep it fresh! Keep it real yo! There is much more to me than being Elliette's mommy! Wait - I wasn't going to talk about Elliette....

Anyway - the world on the outside of mommy-hood is still not quite as exciting as staying at home with my Munchkin, so I really don't have a lot of stuff to talk about. I have enjoyed a few nights out here and there, but really, I prefer to do the bedtime stuff with my baby so I hate to miss out. I know that "partyin" isn't the only way to enjoy the world, but that is my struggle. I need to engage myself with stuff that I find fun and interesting, but not take away from the fact that I feel the need to be with my daughter anytime I am not at work. Maybe it's because I feel guilty having Elliette spend like 50 hours a week with someone other than me while I only spend about 18 hours a week with her. It's really hard to live with that fact sometimes... I know she is a baby and will not hold any of this against me, but I guess I wish I could have more time with her than some person I pay...I am thinking that she will eventually not be such a good baby and I won't miss her so much.... Maybe? But probably not...

I have been pretty busy with the voiceovers lately, which is a welcome surprise. I love walking into a session, working for 20 minutes and then walking out a couple hundred dollars richer. It's like the BEST job ever. If only I could do it a ton more and quit my real job! Oh well.. for now it sure helps with the INSANE amount of money we pay for daycare... Seriously!

I also have been on the political train like just about everyone else who is tired of the world. I have been paying close attention to all the debates and have been trying to convince anyone I know that is undecided what they should do in order to make the world a better place for Elliette and all the other kids out there. I will say that it is CRAZY the amount of people out there that are still convinced that the republicans can be elected and things will change. A lot of my family is still cloudy with party loyalty and race issues that I can't quite believe it. I really have tried to inform and educate the ignorant people in my life about what they can do to make the world better. One guy I know said that he doesn't care about it at all - he just wants to go to work and come home and not deal with the election. And that he will probably vote for McCain because he doesn't want a black guy in office. Truly truly truly scary. That he doesn't care enough to know the issues - he only cares enough about the color of someone's skin. I can only imagine there are like a million more of that guy out there...

Tonight on my way home I am going to count the signs in people's yards. I am feeling very confidant that Obama signs are everywhere, but I want to know how many. I live in a predominately white liberal district so I know that there will be more Obama signs than McCain, but I want to really feel it. To give me back some hope!

To anyone who may read this and be offended by my very strong political view, I am sorry. But not sorry that I feel this way, just sorry that you don't understand why. I hope your political view goes deeper than the color of someone's skin or because you can't imagine voting against what you have always stood for. If you have issues and reasons beyond this, then I will respect you and your stance, but ignorance cannot be tolerated. Do the right thing and research the topics and know why and what you believe in. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for Elliette who is going to have to pick up all the messes we leave behind...

I didn't really intend on this post having anything to do with Elliette or politics but hey - that's what a blog is right? What ever comes to mind!I also want to extend the challenge to you all - count the signs! I wanna know what people out there are seeing....

3 comments:

jody said...

I didn't mean that you should stop writing about Elliette...just that you should blog MORE :-) No, I love, love, love hearing all about that little cutie!!!
(did i just give away the fact that i was the dumby who clearly put her foot in her mouth?)

happygal said...

Amen. Amen. And our kids love sign counting. It's easily an 80/20 mix in super blue Highland Park :)

Molly

Abby Girl said...

hahaha! Oh Jody - no feet in mouth disease here! You merely mentioned it and I agreed... I HOPE to update more often - with or without Elliette posts!! I am just glad someone is out there reading it!

I counted the signs the other day - and it was 38 Obama to 7 McCain!!! WHAOO!!! Now I just need to carve my Obama pumpkin!