Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Elliette - Your First Month

Dearest Elliette –

It’s hard to believe that you are already 4 weeks old. One whole month of life on the outside. You have changed so much already that I can hardly wait to see what the next month brings. Hopefully more sleep and less crying. Both of which it seems you do at the most inopportune times…

I am still getting used to the fact that I am a mother, but since your father and I have managed to keep you alive so far – I think it is becoming more real. We did have a slight scare last week when your Dad was walking down the stairs with you and he slipped and you two went down a few on Dad’s butt. You bumped your head a little on the last step and after hours upon hours of us freaking out, calls to the Doctor and many checks while you were asleep – everything was fine. Now, if anyone ever asks if you were dropped on your head or something – you can say – NO! I only bumped it a little on the stairs!

Somehow – your Dad and I have created the most beautiful baby on the planet – so much beauty that my eyes well up when I think of you. I can’t believe how much a little person can change your life. Our life revolves around you now. Your Dad and I sit and wait for you to do something new – something adorable like stick out your tongue or make a noise – even your poops are sweet. At some point I guess the cute things you do will actually equate to cuteness to others and not just to your Dad and me. I guess it’s only because we love you more than anything we have ever loved before and therefore – no matter what you do – it’s perfect.

Although sometimes when you cry – it’s reeeeeallllllly hard to remember those cute moments. You are quite a challenging baby. Which should not surprise me considering who your parents are… I swear from the first day you have been more aware of everything around you than the average baby. Your beautiful eyes wide open and taking everything in. I think you are able to take in more than your little mind can handle and you cry because you don’t know how else to deal. But every once in a while it seems that your mind opens up and allows us to interact with you. We get you to look into our eyes and you try so hard to communicate with us with something other than crying. Those are the moments that make this baby thing all worth it. Your small efforts smooth over all the bad nights and make our hearts melt. Your coos sound like nothing I have ever heard before – they are magical. I can’t wait for you to find your little voice and make me laugh!

When we brought you home from the hospital, you were so tiny. At 6lbs 15 ozs., we had a hard time finding cute clothes that fit you. Even still I have to recycle the same 5 outfits over and over – but everyone keeps telling me that I should cherish the time that you are so tiny because you will grow so fast! Your Dad and I weighed you the other day and you were already 8lb 2 ozs!! So at least I know you are thriving and getting enough food from me. I now can see the chubby fingers and legs growing and it’s the cutest most edible thing in the world…

The Highlights of Month One:
- You have smiled, cooed and followed objects with your eyes.
- You can hold your head up pretty well and really like tummy time on the couch.
- Your longest sleep was 6.5 hours in a row from 9:30pm to 5:30am….
- You poop more than anything I have ever seen in my life. Like 15 times a day I swear.
- You LOVE spending time on your changing stations. Especially the one in your bedroom. There are only rare occasions that you cry and it usually involves me changing your outfit for the 3rd time in a row because NOTHING FITS!
- Your most adorable time is usually at 5:30am – but since you are so adorable, we usually indulge you because it’s physically impossible to ignore your cuteness.
- You love it when your Daddy beat-boxes while he dances with you. Your eyes become huge and you are entranced.
- So far you hate the car and the car seat. We are doing everything we can to fix this as your Dad and I like to go out and do stuff and we want you to come with!
- You also hate having your head touched – but this KILLS your dad because he wants so badly to smother your head in kisses.
- You have met all of your Aunts and Uncles, Grandmas and Grandpas, 2 of your Great-Grandparents and TONS of our good friends. Once the weather warms up – we can’t wait to take you everywhere. We actually already purchased tickets to your very first rock concert on June 21st.
- You love eating no matter how you can get it. You will drink out of basically any bottle we give you and of course the good ol’ boob will always do too… and the sounds you make when you are nursing are absolutely the sweetest….
- You LOVE sucking on our pinkies. We try every time when you are REEEAALLLLY mad to give you a pacifier and you fight us. We throw a pinky in your mouth and it’s instant silence.

Current Names:
- Belly
- Belliette
- Munchkin
- Skeen Bean (still!)
- Missy
- Missy Elliette
- Chunky Monkey
- Cheeks
- Lady
- Child (when you are fighting the Boob)
- Baby Girl
- Whinny Cooper (when you are nursing and getting full – you sound like a horse)

Overall Elliette, you are the most amazing, wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. I can’t wait to grow as a family with your Dad and you and see where life takes us. You make everything worthwhile and meaningful. Someday when you are a mean 15 year old – I will look back at these letters and remind myself how it all started. How you were so fresh and new with an entire life ahead of you. I can’t wait to see how it turns out sweetie…

Love,
Momma

2 comments:

*_honey._* 홍 하 니 said...

that's so sweet! i'm happy for you

nikki martin said...

this is so lovely! you'll both be really happy to have this when she's older.

thanks for all the updates!